Overwatch has quickly become one of the most popular games in the market. It brings forth a new formula for gaming – combining MOBAs and FPS games. And the company behind this project is none other than Blizzard Entertainment – the creators of Starcraft and Heroes of the Storm. This game aims to bring in players from both genres and let them enjoy the combination of both.
The game has been out for 2 years, originally released in 2016. It slowly started becoming available on other platforms such as Xbox One and PS4 which helped increase its player count. The peak number of players for Overwatch is 25 million. In the same year that it was released, Overwatch received the Game of the Year award.
In any case, Overwatch is a unique and interesting take on two vastly different genres; something that was never seen before. Blizzard took a bold step with this project (which was initially titled Titan but the entire project was reworked into Overwatch) and it’s obvious that the effort paid off.
Overwatch – Esports Betting and Betting Odds Overview
- We’ll talk about Overwatch Esports betting and its potential as well as going over available betting options.
- Esports bookmaker betting types overview
- Bet365 and ArcaneBet offer the most attractive Overwatch bets today.
Overwatch Esports Betting on Tournaments
Those of you who are interested in watching (or betting on) Overwatch Esports tournaments needn’t worry; there are annual ones hosted to everyone’s liking! The biggest and most entertaining tournament is the World Cup. The Overwatch league is another popular one.
- The Overwatch League – Inaugural Season 2019: Will be launched on February 14th, 2019.
- Overwatch World Cup – Held in the third quarter of every year at BlizzCon (USA).
Start Times shown in: GMT or GMT +1 during Summer Time
Betting Odds presented by bet365. The listed odds are intended as a guide only and are subject to change. Please check current Overwatch odds on the bet365 website before placing any bets. Read more about esports betting at Bet365.
In the meantime, check out our Esports betting academy guide about some phrases in Esports betting that you should know.
Top 3 Bookmakers for Overwatch Esports Betting 2018/2019
The criteria for figuring out the best Esports bookmakers for Overwatch includes customer satisfaction, promotions, loyalty bonuses, new customer bonuses, and overall betting odds. These bookmakers have all past the test with flying colors which means they’re the best you can find for Overwatch Esports betting.
Overwatch Betting Options
- Winner bets: The betting type that everyone knows, simply select a team out of the two that are up against each other and place your bets. These can be applied to the entire tournament or just one match (depending on what the bookie offers).
- Handicaps: Handicap bets are generally recommended only for experienced Esports bettors. If you win a placed bet, the winnings will go on over to the next one. If you win again, a multiplier is applied to your winnings!
- Fifth Map: Whether or not a fifth map (round) will be played.
- Exact Score
- Over/Under (kills, etc.)
Overwatch, how is it played?
Overwatch is considered a tactical shooter (so team play is very important!) and is filled with interesting mechanics. The idea is to control zones or escort cargo. Whatever the game type, you’ll have plenty of fun.
Currently, there are 21 heroes available and each falls into one of the three main roles. Every hero has unique abilities.
The three roles are as follows:
- Damage: Damage-based heroes are often considered the toughest to play because of their low health pool. If your tanks aren’t performing well, you’ll need to be extra-skilled to survive as a damage hero. However, they are called damage-based for a reason. These heroes dish out the most damage and are crucial in securing the win!
- Tank: Tanks aren’t very damage-oriented but they can survive the longest. It usually takes multiple heroes to take down a tank. A tank’s main role is to help and protect his team to the best of his abilities.
- Support: Support heroes are relatively vulnerable but they can be a huge asset to the team. Their main goal is to prevent their teammates from dying, providing empowered abilities, healing them, and many other roles as well.
Overwatch is easy to pick up and the learning curve is gentle. It doesn’t take long to get into it! Team Fortress 2 players will feel right at home because of how the game plays. Even right now, just two years after release, Overwatch is a strong new player in the Esports community.
Overwatch currently boasts 26 maps (2018) and five different game modes. This gives the user loads of variety so the gameplay never gets boring. Here’s what it’s all about:
- Assault (Attack): this is a pretty straightforward game mode that most people already know. Basically, there’s an attacking and a defending team. The attackers’ goal is to occupy areas marked with letters (A, B). B is the second area that needs to be captured but it’s more difficult to achieve due to close proximity to the defending team’s base. The downside of this game mode is that Overwatch Esports tournaments generally don’t feature these maps since they’re, well, not that great for competitive play.
- Escort (Payload): this game mode requires a team to escort the payload to the designed area. The twist is pretty fun – the vehicle moves only when a team fully controls it (no enemies in the near vicinity).
- Assault Escort (hybrid): These maps feature a mix of both worlds (Escort and Assault). The first part of the job is capturing a checkpoint. Once this is done, the vehicle with the cargo can start moving to its final location.
- Control (King of the Hill): this game mode features a control point that is open for capture. Once a team does capture it, they need to keep control over it until victory is achieved. The games that are played with this game mode are over fast and are played in a Bo3 format. Each map consists of three different sections (sub-maps).
- Arcade: is a relatively new game mode that features a rotation of exclusive game modes, rules, and maps. This is also the only game mode where players can win loot boxes by winning games!
Top 5 bookmakers comparison table
League of Legends
Counter Strike GO
World of Tanks
Street fighter V